Sunday, January 31, 2010

I am a Lee, that's for sure

How can you tell if you are a true blooded Lee member?

Easy, just watch what you do to pick up the truck.

Now mind you that I would never pull a stunt that wasn't fully documented and with safety in mind, but if you recall a year or so ago I went after a 1966 Ford Bronco about 100 miles east of Indianapolis IND.

On the return trip we ran into this

a super cell, not a little one, but one that caused me to slow down to 30 or 35 mph and that was on an Interstate Highway.

So we got home with the Bronco in one piece.

The other night, here in the great Ozarks land, we had this potential problem on the horizon:

We also were talking with a friend in Trenton (that's Illinois and not Missouri), about this piece of equipment for the farm

So did the potential for a little snow (6 to 12 inches is nothing in these parts) deter us from heading to St. Louis? Now to be honest, there was already 5 inches of the white stuff on the ground here at the farm by 5 pm and it was still snowing to beat the band. At times it was almost white out conditions here.

Talking with Phil in Trenton, he relayed the snow was predicted to stay south of St Louis. Watching the local and state weather, it was determined the snow wouldn't go much farther north than Rolla.

Easy run to St Louis if no snow from Rolla on. So a quick packing of the necessary snow storm (hurricane supplies if you are in Florida), a quick jump on the internet to book a room at the Best Hotel Chain (according to the Gentleman Farmer), and at 5:30 pm Friday evening, the Barngoddess1 and I were in the Big Little Mule (abet thankfully we didn't have a problem that the Jeep would have to rescue me as evident in this picture) -

and enroute to Trenton ILL.

And the snow continued. By the time we reached Springfield (30 miles east) we were asking ourselves if this was a good adventure to be undertaking. No snow after Rolla and we'll be there in no time. Besides, MODOT was out in force:

So we kept going. Now on Interstate 44 around Springfield the crews were doing a good job of clearing the snow, but as soon as we were out of the great Springfield area I44 was one lane. Passing meant that white out conditions occurred and people would slow to 10 or 15 mph. At Rolla the snow was still coming, heavier than at the beginning, at St James MO it was even heavier, and by the time we got to Fenton MO, we were thankful that the Drury Inn was close to the highway.

A quick check in and we'd be in the hot tub in no time... right....

We got to the Hotel at 11:00 pm, the indoor pool and hot tub were closed for over an hour and the hotel crew were doing maintenance on them, alas, no hot tub tonight.... and it was still snowing. So what it took 5 hours for a 3 hour drive. We would have taken pictures but all you have seen is "whiteout".

We got up Saturday morning to what looked like about 4 inches of the white stuff. Turn on TV and it was remarkable, Interstate 64 was the dividing line for snow or no snow. South of I-64 in metro StL was snow, north was no snow. We laughed over breakfast (Drury Inn has the best) and headed out. Ten minutes later we were out of the snow and flying down I-70 toward Greenville ILL to meet Phil.

We were going to meet him at the local Bank in town, just off the square at 10.
Arriving a little early, we got a call from Phil saying he would be there in just a bit. And just a bit later, a F350 (black, crew cab, long bed) pulls into the bank parking lot. So I, thinking it is Phil, jump out and walk over and introduce myself to the driver (whose name is Walter), and ask if the truck is ready to be sold..... That poor guy had a deer in the headlites look.... what??? my truck ain't for sale..

I then realized it was the wrong truck. We both laughed over it, and a few minutes later Phil pulls into the parking lot. We all had a big laugh over which F350 was for sale. After the transactions were done, we bade our farewells and everyone was off. We stopped at the local cafe and ate a bit (it was lunch time you know) and headed home.
Me driving the dually, and the Barngoddess1 driving "her" truck.
Roads were clear (thank you MODOT and the big plow) and we were home at dusk.
Coming up the drive was fun, especially in two wheel drive, but we made it safe and sound.
A few more pictures of todays activities [THESE ARE FOR THE JEEP, BBB & OLERAGTOP]

Our back yard, the stable and side of the haybarn, and shoveling the white stuff.
Also a few pics of the dually and "her truck", not too worse for wear and tear.
So enjoy and be glad it is 70 in your town.

I have to admit that it was an experience going to STL, Barngoddess1 only yelled at me once (going up a hill in passing lane, with cruise control engaged, we started a little fishtailing, nothing serious, but I got an earfull...
So safe at home is our newest Little Mule: Ford (is there any other kind of truck?), F350, dually crewcab, with gray cloth interior, my favorite 7.3L diesel and an automatic tranny. Alas it is only two wheel drive, but a truck that size doesn't need to be in the mud and muck.... that's what "Her Truck" and "My Bronc" are for.

So how do you tell if you are a Lee boy...........

It's the adventure going after another truck to use on the farm, that's how we



Busplunge said...

The only Ford I got is an 8n older than me (1947) and it won't start in this cold.

But those old stovebolts sure do start!

Nice truck.

Dang nice truck. CL find?

auxarc said...

That's a whole lotta truck. Don't forget to let Vi drive it once in awhile.