Monday, February 23, 2009

DISCRETIONARY SPENDING

Some of you are aware that I spent 21 years in the good ole US Navy, submarine service most of my career. You are also aware that with my pending retirement in September 1989, the Gentleman Farmer couldn't stand the thought of his son retiring before him, so he took an early retirement.

So before I joined the good ole USN, I was into the Sea Cadets and our family had a pram sailboat that I would use on Fellows Lake, located north of the Queen City of the Ozarks. I have posted about that before......... but don't know how to link that site on my blog to this blog. Longrooffan or Bus... Daughter is at school so she can't show me........ so here is that wagon



Anyway, our family had a 1967 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon that was way too cool. 390, auto, electric rear window, windshield that had a hole in it when I slammed the tailgate shut and drove the mast thru it.
Mom picked Dad up at the airport late that day and Dad asked what happened to the windshield, Mom's classic reply was "I hoped you wouldn't notice it".

Now how does one not notice a 4 inch hole in the middle of the windshield? That boat was forever called....... well, the Jeep had the right name for it; but I can't link that post here either.

Now the Lee boys are into old vehicles........ well except for the oldest "BBB" he is into Nascar race cars... (he is a lot like me, I have miniature horses, he has miniature Nascar race cars).. but I can't link that blog either.........

Maybe I should get edumacated and learn how....... nah.........

Anyway,
the Bus has had about 60 old cars .... you can see his blog for all of them.
I have two 1966 Ford Broncos, had a 51 Ford F1, 48 Ford F-5 Fire Truck, 52 F-6 Dump truck, 55 Chrysler New Yorker


Longroof has a 63 Ford Econovan, and a bunch of other cars that go by numbers, not names.
and the Jeep has two old jeeps, 40 vintage and 50 vintage, one is a CJ2 the other a CJ something.

Joking around Longroof found a 1967 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon dang near identical to the one our family owned. The guy has it for sale in Florida for $8,500

Now the Barngoddess is the one who has all the money in our family. Yeah I got some from Mom when she died, but most of that is already disbursed and the rest is reserved in the bank. Well when in the Navy I spent quite a bit of time at sea, and the Barngoddess would hide money from me so I wouldn't spend it.

So the Barngoddess allows me to borrow money from what she calls
""TC's allowable discretionary spending" that I have to pay back. At least it is interest free.

So I ask for a loan to purchase the 67 Ford Country Squire Wagon. Her reply was "What part of NO don't you understand" followed by "Not NO, but Hell no".

So I got to thinking: sometimes dangerous.
MSNBC.com reports that Hilary is going to Gaza Strip to give 900 billion of US aid to rebuilding the Gaza Strip that Isreal destroyed.

My mind is running rampage now......... MAYBE I could get the good ole USA to bailout me and give me the money to buy that 67 wagon.

Now this makes sense, we give 900 billion to rebuild what Isreal destroyed, we give untold billions to fix what we destroyed in Iraq.....

Maybe the government could give this old sailor retiree 8500 to buy a piece of his early childhood development years.....
Hell, I'd even let them put a 4 inch hole in the windshield so I could be nostalgic about that too.........

Hey Kit Bond, how about bailing me out here....

oh yeah, he doesn't care, he's retiring too. Bet he has a hell of a better retirement plan than I ever thought I would have......

Oh well, I will just look at picturees and remember the good ole days.....

Celebrate Life.....

2 comments:

Busplunge said...

Do you remember a trip we took to Caruthersville in that Chrylser with Delores Tieman?

That old Chrysler could fly! I loved driving that beast. It came form Hap Henley as I recall.

longrooffan said...

Darn...wasn't "Sister" Delores a blast!! I remember fixing her a cocktail when I was a kid. "Just put in three fingers worth of bourbon"...well I did that and then added the ice. Barely carried that cocktail back into the farm's living room without spilling a drink...gave it to her and she drank the whole thing....she couldn't have been 30? at the time? And great shot of the driveway on National, horsefarmer....and that Viola..she is the smart one.