Saturday, October 25, 2008

Good old Irish Wedding

A good friend of mine got married on 10/18/08 in Florida. They are both doing well and as part of their wedding, the announcement contained the following "Irish Wedding Vow". I think this is really neat and wanted to share with everyone.

You can not possess me for I belong to myself
But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give
You can not command me, for I am a freee person
But I shall serve you in those ways you require
And the honey will taste sweeter coming from my hand

I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night
And the eyes into which I smile in the morning
I pledge to you the first bit of the meat and the first drink from my cup
I pledge to you my living and dying, each equally in your care
I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine
I shall not slander you, nor you me
I shall honor you above all others and when we quarrel,
we shall do so in private and tell no strangers our grievances.

This is my wedding vow to you
This is the marriage of equals.


I am glad to be part of that wedding, however far away in person, yet close in mind and heart.

May the two of them grow old together knowing that their marriage is truly of equals.

They are off on a honeymoon of no equal, can't tell where they went, nor do I really want to know, only that it is a special place for them, and they will enjoy and begin their new life together in that special place.

The only Irish toast I know is
"May ye be in heaven 30 minutes before the devil knows ye is dead"

D&M enjoy your new life and should you come to the Ozarks, we have a spare bedroom you can use.

Love

Horsefarmer and Barngoddess

2 comments:

Lil Jim said...

I always liked "Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends", don't know if it's Irish or not....

d5thouta5 said...

very well said....

not much more you could wish for...
or dream for....