Sunday, May 31, 2009

Some assembly required......

So today it is up early to finish the Barngoddess's new wagon. Have almost all the parts ready to go, so started assembly ... for those followers.. only need dewalt drill and screws to make it work. Notice Lee sign on wall (that's so I know what my name is after I finish working).
So after getting this far along....



it was time for me to honor my noble assistant's wish and get to work on her beach. To the benefit of my brothers in the birthplace of speed... Jeep and the oleragtop (aka longrooffan), we in Missouri do indeed have a beach (unlike the town the Bus frequents on Taneycomo Lake that doesn't have a beach, but is called a beach) and a place to swim at the beach...
here is a pic of this ole Horsefarmer hard at work making the beach smooth and soft


Of course the Barngoddess is walking around making sure I get it just right. That Super thing..
as you look closely you'll see the difference between Florida beaches and our simple beach here at the farm. We have good rich top soil mixed in with our sand..

Inthe middle of all that hot intense labor by this ole Horsefarmer, my noble assistant decided she needed a "tommylee sandwich", and took time off. Caught her inthe act here...



for those of you in the dark: a tommylee sandwich is slice of bologna, cheese mustard and two pieces of bread. Dates back to the sixty's when Dad and I would travel together. I still enjoy them on occasion.

so after toiling under the hot sunday sun to make the beach just right.. let me get this correct for you all.... tractor and tiller to mix everything sooo soft,, rack to level it out, take tiller off tractor and hookup field roller, roll area for water, unhook everything again.. put pool out in correct spot, fill upper ring with air.... 5 trips to air compressor with portable tank. What?? you thought I would use the manual labor pump to fill it... boy are you wrong! and walla, the pool is filling up with nice 48 degree well water. My noble assistant went for a wade, but I think I'll wait till the water gets around 90 degrees before I try.



So you all down inthe birthplace of speed, we take tractors to our beach, don't need no permit to do so, and don't care if we make a mess or not. LOL

Getting back to the original "some assembly required". Got the dewalt ready and found that I was out of the size screws I need to assembly the wagon. Steph and Jay are off to Sutherlands.. only place open in this hick town. Of course takes them an hour to go 12 miles, buy a box of screws and a 2X2, and return. Never will figure that out.

So as we progress throughout the day, I found that I had forgot to make a couple boards, hence stop everything, get the saws and sanders out again, cut the wood, sand it, stain it, put in hot sun to dry.... get the drift.. also forgot to paint a couple pieces......

Anyway we did take time to put a few burgers on the grill (in honor of Granny and Man and her weekend). See the hot tub in the background? It will come into play later in this blog.



and it was off to watch the Dover Nascar race. Got to watch laps 299 thru 307 while I ate, then off to the wagon again.

finally got the box assembled and put it on the chassis. Jeep that is like you lying on the driveway working on the old thing.. having fun??? damned right.
Here is pic of the wagon almost done...



still have to finish the seat and hook up the team pole assembly (Jeep that is the driveshaft to you) and test it out behind the golfcart (truckster wanna be) stole that from the oleragtop. Our golf cart is not a golf cart, but a farm truck, hence the truckster wanna be. the oleraptop has a car, rather had a car, that was a truckster wanna be too, but I'm too lazy at this point to find the post that he made when he came up here in that wanna be.

In the background you can see our stagecoach and the springfield wagon. Now you might have noticed that the new wagon (we'll get a name for it later) is sporting some new wheels (Jeep they are R 2.125X20 front; R 2.125x24 rear). Must say they look better on this wagon than on the training wagon. (New pic of training wagon sporting new wheels made of steel and a back seat that my noble assistant bolted to the body (Jeep I let you ride on this one) so she didn't have to stand, but could ride in comfort. I guess my little Bronc didn't need that back seat after all.



So today was a success here on the farm.

AS far as my trip to Chicago land in the future to look at that Estate Wagon... if you look at all the pics of that 52 Hillman Estate wagon, you will notice the real reason for my trip up there (HINT: it's white, it's a 66 or 67.......)

It is now 8:00 pm and I am heading for the hot tub. Seems the Barngoddess is already there and has a cool one waiting for me when I get there.
I do love working with wood, but as I get older, I find that my hands can't stand the abuse. So I share this with you all and hope you enjoyed reading what we did this weekend.

On this Farm we are proud that everyday we

CELEBRATE LIFE.

1 comment:

d5thouta5 said...

okay...can I stop grinning already....seems to me that you ran out of time before you ran out of projects....all and all, a great day out on the farm......
wish I could have been a part of your day....

CELEBRATE LIFE........